Sunday, April 15, 2012

Draw impulsively! (Kekkai fanart opitional.)

I did two drawings in two weeks!  Woo!  I want you to envision me sitting at my laptop doing a happy dance in my chair, because that's what I'm doing right now.

I'm tentatively trying out a new art motto: draw impulsively.  Usually, when I get an idea for a drawing, I log it away in my head.  Then, when I actually feel like sitting down and working on a drawing, I'll browse my mental list of ideas, pick one that sounds pretty good, and work on it.  "Draw impulsively" means that when I get an idea for a drawing, within twenty four hours, I take up my sketch book and do a quick loose sketch of it, maybe 15 minutes, 30 tops.  If it's looking good, I'll finish it.  If the idea (or my ability to draw it) turns out to be lousy, I'll drop it and move on.  I've cautiously set a goal of one drawing a week, but we'll see.  I need to get started on some costumes, and that may throw that goal out the window.






Here's the first one.  It's been on deviantArt for a while, so you've probably seen it, but whatever.  This is the cat from the anime/manga Trigun, and the monkey from the manga Kekkai Sensen, which I rambled about in my last post.  Both are by the same creator, which is where the idea for the picture came from.  This one really was impulsive.  "The monkey's kinda cute... Let's draw something adorable!"

Next I drew Klaus, the main character from Kekkai Sensen.  I needed one more picture to get that manga out of my system.  This is taken from a scene in the story in which Klaus was injured, and is about to take out some losers.  The little device he has in his hand is a weapon.

The quote was something he said during that scene and I loved it.  I think that drawing the picture was as much an excuse to put the quote down somewhere as it was to draw Klaus.


Interesting character design, by the way.  The guy has under-bite fangs and some weird sideburns going on... and glasses and a tie.  The glasses give him permanent glasses-glare in the manga, and I wasn't too sure what to do with that in the picture.  Hopefully, it looks like he has glasses, and not really creepy blank eyes.

By the way, guys, Tuscan Red is the new Black!  You can't tell well in the scan, but all the line work on this drawing was done in red.  I've noticed colored line work used before, mostly in Mamoru Hosoda movies (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars), and it was done in the amazingly fantastic "The Last Unicorn" graphic novel.  I wanted to try it out, too.  I'll probably do it some more (although it was pretty rough on my poor Tuscan Red colored pencil).


Summer Wars: The character's avatars within the virtual world are outlined in pink.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: While falling backward through time, the heroin is outlined in red (although this is a terrible picture, honestly.)
Digimon's first movie, also by Mamoru Hosoda: It's been too too long since I watched this to tell you when and wear the line work gets colorful, but since this director has a theme of colored line work to differentiate between the real world and another world, I'm guessing the digital world was orange.
The Last Unicorn: The unicorn is always outlined in a pale tan-ish pink, to give her a more pale, soft look compared to her surroundings.


Well, that's all for now.  Next time I will, hopefully, have another drawing and the start of a costume to show off.


See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment