Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Ramble on Drawing

Hey, look, guys!  I actually drew something!




Aw, precious!  Okay, anyway, I'm not going to get into who they are and why they're hugging, because this blog isn't about Trigun.  You'd never know it, though, since I probably average one Trigun reference per blog post.  (Trigun reference for this blog post: check!)  It's supposed to be about art and creativity, so I'm going to talk about drawing.

A friend asked me recently if I follow all the proper steps when I draw a picture, such as starting with a stick-person-like skeleton, then drawing rough shapes for a body, etc.  Yes.  I do.  It helps you drawing better, but the truth is, that's only a small part of why I do it.  The bigger reason is that whenever I sit down to draw, I find a blank page rather intimidating.  It makes me feel better if I can say to myself, "You don't have to draw a good picture, just draw some good stick people... There, that wasn't so hard.  Now draw some bodies onto the stick people... Good!  That looks pretty okay!  Now some clothes..."  I do it for all projects, not just drawings.  I break it down into ridiculously tiny steps.  It makes me feel better, and makes me feel like I accomplished something even when the project isn't done yet.  One day I sat down to work on this drawing and said, "I don't care how much I get done, just as long as the coat is drawn properly."  I drew the coat and then set the drawing aside again and felt pretty awesome about myself.  I drew a coat, dang it!  I accomplished something!  (I'm not sure whether this shows that I have wisdom in tackling a project, or I just have a need for instant gratification.  I think it's the latter.)

I've found that, as the years go by, it has come to take me FOR-EV-ER to finish a drawing.  Some people can sit down and pop out something great in a couple of hours.  Not me.  When I first started taking my drawings seriously, back in high school, I went through a phase where I popped out a picture a week.  This drawing that I just finished I started over a month ago.  So while working on this drawing, I tried to pay attention to what I was doing so I could track down the true source of the problem.  I found two underlying suspects.

The first can be summed up thus:
In high school: "I have five minutes to spare!  Quickly!  To the sketchbook!"
Now:  "I have five minutes to spare!  Quickly!  To facebook!"
Yeah, I don't think I really need to expound on that one.  It's pretty self-explanatory.  Shame on me.

The second cause for slowness is that this is how things went when working on my drawing.  Sit down with paper and pencil.  Draw a while.  Everything's going good.  Grab a manga to find a reference picture. (For those who don't know, a manga is more or less a Japanese comic book.  I own Trigun's manga.)  Realize I've been reading the manga instead of drawing.  Draw some more.  Grab a different manga to reference something else.  Realize I'm reading again.  Draw some more.  Flip through mangas for a different reference.  Get distracted by a cool part.  Draw some more.  [Later.]  Draw Vash's coat.  Think about how, when Vash's coat gets really billowy, he looks like an octopus.  Doodle Vash in the margins of the paper as a Vash-topus.  Doodle another character's reaction to the Vash-topus.  Draw some more.  [Later.]  Wonder if I should have drawn part of it differently.  Trace the drawing on tracing paper and sketch the change on the tracing paper for a side-to-side comparison.  Decide to make the change.  Continue drawing on the tracing paper, turning Vash into a zombie that is eating Lina's brains.  Get back to drawing.

Okay, so the second one isn't likely to change any time soon.  I always get distracted finding reference pictures, whether in a manga or on the internet or wherever.  And it's practically tradition for me to doodle something in the margins of a picture.  I've been doing that for years.  Every "professional" drawing gets graced by a quick doodle or comic strip relating to the picture.  It's not that I think I'm ADD or anything, it's just that I... um... well... I mean, I don't think I'm ADD.  It's just that... um...

... what was I talking about, again?

Anyway, it would be really nice if I could kick the internet addiction (it's not just facebook) and go back to having my sketchbook as my go-to source of entertainment when I have spare time.  I just bought a shiney, new sketchbook, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Drawing!!! It was well worth the time. Haha, you put in to words just what happens to me when I try to draw. I get distracted so easily. That's a really good point about having small little victories. I have to do that for a lot of other things too.

    ReplyDelete