Saturday, April 16, 2011

Tailoring, Part Two

I want to start off by saying that I am wearing my Milly Coat even as I type this.




It's finished!  And part of me is a little tempted to add, "And good riddance!"  Nothing against my coat, but I've been wanting to do other things, and kept saying, "No, not until you finish the plushy/coat/whatever!"

Now that I've finished it, I'm... not really sure what it was I was wanting to do... hmm...

Anyway, here's the new and improved coat.  It's a little more fitted than before, and I removed the bottom snap on it so that it's open on the bottom.  This isn't in keeping with the original coat in the show, but it's a heck of a lot more comfortable that way, so I don't really care.


Now, if I had really been smart, I'd have taken a "Before" picture, but I didn't.  None of the pictures I've taken in the past really work well for a comparison shot, so you'll have to settle with just an "After."  Oh well.

This is the part where I start rambling about the process.  For some reason, I felt like I should warn you or something.

I got my first lesson in tailoring from my sister.  She told me one day that she would sometimes give her shirts a more pronounced "babydoll cut" style herself.  She'd turn the shirt inside out, pinch in the sides, pin them up, and then sew along the pinned line.  I think I responded by staring at her, because I was busy thinking, "Holy crap!  That's so incredibly simple that I never would have thought of it!"  It was like she had hit me in the forehead with a giant mallet labeled "DUH!"

And that, really, is all there is to it, when it comes to making something more fitted.  It's all I did here.  Only I did it in five different places, so let me explain further.

I picked out one of my favorite fitted shirts to use as a guide and very quickly realized something interesting.  The shirt was smallest just underneath the bust rather than at the waist.  I thought that was weird since people aren't made that way.  Girls are definitely smallest around the waist, not under the bust.  When I thought about it, though, I realized that, not only is it a popular trend in fashion, but has been for a very very long time.





I think it was one of those moments of "I always knew that.  I just didn't know I knew it."  I tried pinning up my coat that way, but found it rather pointless because the cape covers up that area, and so you couldn't tell that it was shaped at all.  I went back to my original plan of taking it in at the waist.

I did notice, though, that the shirt was taken in at several places to make it more fitted.  This is probably a good time to actually show the shirt I'm talking about.


(Why does the shirt look so short and fat in these pictures?  I don't even know.)  So on the front of the shirt, there are two pairs of seems, one pair that's vertical on either side of the row of buttons, and one (much harder to see in the picture) horizontal from the side seems a little below the underarms that go a little inward.  The back has a pair of vertical seems as well.

As for the back, the back of my coat already had a single seem running down the middle, so I just used that one instead of making two new ones.  With the sides and back seem pinned up I looked at my back in the mirror and for the first time in my life, I asked myself, "Does this make my butt look big?"  (I decided, "Not really," and besides, I looked like I actually had a butt, so it was an improvement.)

As for the front, I tried the two little horizontal seems and, honestly, I couldn't tell a difference.  Maybe it was because, once again, the cape was covering up any effect it had.  But anyway, I ditched those seems.

I do have the two vertical seems, though, but you can't tell, can you?  Because I hid them!  Aren't I so sneaky?  There are two seems, each about four inches long (I didn't carry them all the way down like the shirt did).  One is just behind the front flap, so it doesn't show, and the other is just far enough to the side so that the cape covers it up.  So now, not only can you tell that I have a butt, you can tell I have boobs, too (kinda).

And.... I think that just about covers it.

As a final, unrelated note, while doing an image search for the picture of the dress, I also found this.

No comments:

Post a Comment