Saturday, July 23, 2011

Free Programs of Creative Awesomeness

Just as the title says, this blog post is more or less a list.  I couldn't think of anything in particular that I really wanted to talk about, so I thought, "Let's talk about everything!"

Okay, so it's not really everything but there's writing, gaming, 3D modeling and music here.  That's kind of like everything, right?  It's all the really important stuff anyway.



1) Writing - Q10
What it is:  Q10 is a minimalistic word processor.  This means that it takes up the entire screen, and doesn't even have toolbars (hit F1 for a list of hotkeys and go from there).  Although, there is a bottom toolbar that displays wordcount, pagecount, etc.  It's meant to completely submerge you in whatever you're righting with no opportunity for distractions.  Background and font colors are customizable, and, as an added quirk, you can turn on sound so that it sounds like a typewriter as you type.
Where to get it: visit http://www.baara.com/q10/ for more info and a download.
Additional notes:  If you're a writer who wants to get really intense about things, or who likes inflicting pain upon themselves, look up a program called Write Or Die.  If you pause in your writing for too long, it will make annoying noises at you.  If you really want to be hard core, instead of noises, it will start erasing what you've written.  Personally, I'll stick to Q10.

This is what your whole screen looks like when running Q10.  (Screenshot from writerstechnology.com)
2) 3D Modeling - Google Sketchup
What it is:  Some of my friends have heard me gush about this program before.  Sketchup is a 3D modeling program that's simple and user friendly.  Although I say it's simple, it can be hard to pick up and use without instruction first.  Once things are explained though, it's, "Oh!  I get it!"  For beginner instructions, Sketchup offers tutorial videos, each about five minutes long, that can be found here: http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/training/videos/new_to_gsu.html
Where to get it:  sketchup.google.com
Additional Notes:  Although you can use the program without one, having a mouse with a scroll wheel is highly recommended.  Navigating the models will be a hundred times easier.  Holding down the scroll wheel lets you rotate.  Holding down the scroll wheel and the shift key lets you pan.

A screenshot of a simple work in progress.
Something I made myself a while back.  (With a little photoshopping afterward.)
3) Music - MuseScore
What it is:  MuseScore is music writing software.  (A shoutout to my sister who found it and passed it on to me.)  It gives you a staff and you put notes onto it.  Choose the time signature, choose the tempo, choose the instrument, etc; place notes on the staff; then hit the play button and listen to what you've just written.  Or you can import a midi file, and MuseScore will fill in the staff for you.  Then you can play around with the notes you've been provided with.
Where to get it: musescore.org
Additional Notes:  Musical knowledge is required.  If you can't tell a quarter note from a treble clef, then pass this one up.  I barely have the musical knowledge and skill to use this, so I've done nothing but import midis (or copy in sheet music that I can find) and mess with them.  I'd like to eventually make some kind of medley or mashup or something of the kind, but I'm still fiddling around and learning the thing (and refreshing myself on what I do know of music).

A screenshot from MuseScore's website.
4) Video Games - RPG Maker
What it is:  RPG Maker allows amateurs with no programming knowledge to create their own RPG style games at roughly the same quality as an SNES game.  Sprites and backdrops are provided, or new ones can be created by the user.  There are several versions floating around, but rumor has it RPG Maker 2000 is the best.  I've downloaded it just to take a look at it, but, having no very good ideas for a game, I ditched it without making anything.
Where to get it:  RPG Maker doesn't have an official site, although rpgmaker.net is where the users like to hang out.  You can also go there to download games others have made.  Since RPG Maker has been passed around the internet so much a quick search will give you many sites you can download it from.  You will also need to find and download an English RTP file as well.
Additional Notes:  Although this lets you create games without programming, keep in mind that it's still going to be a boatload of work.  I want to use this program someday because I just think it's so darn cool, but the task is awfully daunting.  I'll be really really honest here and say that I very seriously considered making a Trigun RPG before eventually getting scared away.  I just thought it'd be awesome to wander around as Vash, shout "Wolfwood, I choose you," and eat donuts to restore my HP.

RPG Maker 2000 being used to create a village map.
5)  Just for kicks and giggles, let's add Shimeji to the list.
What it is:  A Shimeji is a desktop companion.  They wander around your screen being cute while you work.  There's a certain Shimeji out there who's files proved far too easy to tamper with, and because of that, people have created their own.  They're mostly anime characters.  I think just about every Hetalia nation is accounted for, and the casts of Black Butler and Fullmetal Alchemist could probably be found several times over.  I have a little Link Shimeji, although I don't use him often.  He's adorably distracting.
Where to get it:  deviantart.com  Type "Shimeji" into the search.  Once you find one that interests you, check the comments for a link to download the files.
Additional Notes:  If you're up for a bit of a digital art challenge, make your own.  All the images used in the animations are stored in a single folder.  Just replace all the pictures with your own, and the programming that already exists will take care of the rest.  I haven't done it myself, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but some days I sure entertain the idea.

Here's my Link I downloaded.  Sometimes he'll multiply himself.  He'll climb up and walk across the top of my internet window.
Well, there's my list.  Five random free programs for creative people.  Now, I'm off to grab some dinner and then play on MuseScore.

No comments:

Post a Comment